1. Edit your wardrobe – keep what you love and the items that make the outfits that work (those supporting acts), but get rid of the villains, those garments that don’t make you feel good. Let go of the past and live in the now.
2. Love how it feels – if clothes don’t feel good to you, on your skin, are uncomfortable get rid of them. If they don’t fit properly you will fidget and fiddle with your clothes which is an instant style killer. You are wearing them against your skin all the time, you want them to feel great.
3. Your clothes should be beautiful to you – these are items you’re wearing all the time, you want to love how they look. If they are just so-so, or bland, or boring or say “it’ll do” to you, then they don’t earn a place in your wardrobe. You are special and your clothes should be special to you too.
4. Add a hero – an outfit purely of supporting acts will be bland.
5. Discover your signature style – spend some time getting to know who you are and what you love. Notice the garments and accessories you turn to again and again and figure out why, they may be part of your signature style.
6. Start collecting accessories – create beauty bundles so that you can easily change up your look with different accessories. You want some more formal, some more casual so you can dress your supporting acts up and down.
7. Don’t keep anything for Sunday Best – remember that clothes are like milk, they go off. Fashions change and there is no point in not wearing your best clothes. Get your cost-per-wear from your best pieces and you’ll be glad you made the investment in them plus you’ll feel great when you wear them.
8. Try something different – every now and again, pick up a trend or fad item that’s a little out of your comfort zone so you don’t become complacent and your style stale.
9. Don’t forget the foundations – get rid of your terrible underpants and bras. Only wear foundation garments that don’t add extra bulges or lumps, that fit and lift and do what they need to to make your whole outfit look great.
10. Be brave – push yourself out of your comfort zone periodically so that you don’t get into a style rut. Try styling something different or wearing an accessory like a hat, scarf, necklace that is right out of your comfort zone. There are so many places to be inspired by the styles of others. Read some Stylish Thoughts blog posts, surf pinterest or instagram.
11. Play in your wardrobe – every now and again challenge yourself to style one garment 5 ways for different occasions. Take photos of the outfits you put together, you may be surprised at the new looks you create that become new parts of your style.