Hi! I have made great strides in gathering mixable business/relaxed business wear but over time have just really lost touch with relaxation (!) and find myself without much to wear on the weekends. I stay at home often but also go to shops, farmers’ markets’, the movies, etc. and don’t really have anything to wear that I don’t already wear to work. I’d love separate weekend clothes to signal fun! I’m 48, an O shape on the way back down to an 8, and I live in the desert southwest of the USA, where it’s currently ~ 110 degrees F and very dry. Can you offer any suggestions as to relaxed but cute capsule pieces to wear on weekend days? Thanks so much!
Dressing in super hot weather can be very hard, particularly if you don’t like to show much skin.
Fabric is really important. Something lightweight from a natural fibre will be way more comfortable than something polyester, which traps the heat in and makes you sweat.
When you are in a hot climate you have two dressing issues:
1. Outside – it’s hot and you want not to be weighed down with heavy fabrics, accessories or layers.
2. Inside – it’s air conditioned, often to the point of uncomfort, you have dressed to go outside, but then you walk inside the mall or to the movies, and the air conditioning is up so high you start to freeze.
So what to wear in a hot climate?
- Ideally have a range of tops that are loose and let air circulate. Look for tops with pattern or detail around the neckline so that you have an automatic focal point around your portrait so you don’t need to add more.
- Look for styles that don’t cling at your waist, which can make you feel even hotter.
- If you go for sleeveless dresses or tops, find some lightweight shrugs that you can throw over the top should you go into air-conditioning, or just want to cover your upper arms.
- Slim fitting long shorts are great for really hot weather, particularly if your thighs rub together.
- Remember, as with all wardrobe capsules, you want the colours of your bottoms and tops to mix and match for the maximum number of possible outfit options!