I was reading a post over at Privilege the other day and LPC mentions how she prefers to wear neutral colours rather than most of the colours of the rainbow, some light blues excluded. It led me to thinking about how different personality types prefer different colours.
So I thought I’d do a series of posts on choosing colours based on your personality (rather than just your colouring). No matter what your colouring, these personality traits can be expressed in a harmonious way with your colouring. Even if you do prefer neutrals, you will still want to choose the most flattering neutrals to enhance your skin, hair and eyes, rather than the neutrals that wash you out.
So thinking about personality, you may find that you tend to fall into one of the following groups when choosing colours.
- Neutrals are the basis of your wardrobe, you may bring in some light blues, or the occassional piece of burgundy, but really you are most comfortable when colour is not too apparent.
- You identify with the colours of nature, soft greens, blues, sand, oatmeal, rust, sage, earthy browns, forest green. These colours are low key, but still coloured, you may consider some to be a little smoky and softened.
- You love colour to add drama to your outfit. Black and red, and black and white are favourites. Hot pink, orange, cobalt blue are all colours that you are drawn to.
- Mixing it up is something that appeals to you. You will wear out all sorts of unusual colour combinations that others would fear to try. No colour is off limits, but you are less likely to look for the high contrast, and go for a lower contrast, it’s an interesting and different combination that appeals, not one that necessarily smacks you in the face. You may also prefer your colour in a pattern rather than solid blocks.
- Soft light colours appeal. Pastels are a favourite. Baby pink and blue, champagne and cream, lavender and periwinkle all put a twinkle in your eye.
- Fresh colours make you feel alive, apple green, watermelon red, fuschia, zesty lemon, turquoise and peach, the names make you drool and the colours make you happy. You will tend to team one of these with a neutral so that you’re not overwhelmed by the colours.
So when you read the above statements which appeals to you the most?
Tomorrow I’ll elaborate more on the 1st type.
Pic: these are my colour swatches from my colour system