Defining the X (Hourglass) Shape
The X shape body has shoulders and hips relatively the same size, and a defined waist. The widest part of the body is the thighs, not the bottom, when viewed from the front.
Bust size may be large, medium or small. Bust is not a factor in body shape. It’s bone structure of shoulders, waist and hips.
The waist is more than 9″ smaller than the hips or shoulders, this is just a rough guide, as it really depends how your body holds weight. But your waist should look significantly smaller than hips and shoulders.
The hips are widest at the upper thigh and there is a gentle slope outwards from waist to hips.
When you feel the back of the hip from the waist, the hand should glide smoothly down, there is not a ‘shelf’ at the high hip.
- Look for A line skirts, or skirts with some flare.
- Wrap dresses are great for your body as they highlight your waist and should fall smoothly over your curves.
- Bootleg jeans are the most flattering as they balance the hips, ensure that they don’t narrow too much at your knee, but fall straighter from your thighs to knees, then have a slight flare at the hem.
- Trousers should be either straight or bootleg, wide-legs are fine too if you have longer legs. A centre crease will slim and elongate your legs.
- Add detail to the upper body, and keep it simple and detail free on your lower body, especially around the hips, so no patch pockets on jeans or trousers, no big pockets at the hips on jackets or coats, and no cuffs on trousers.
- To dress your X shaped body, look for A line skirts, garments that define the waist – show off that you have a small waist, and broaden the shoulders and draw attention up to the face by wearing wider necklines such as wide Vs, square, scoop and sweethearts.
- Tops and jackets should end around the hip bone (or high hip), if you wear longer tops they’ll draw attention to the size of your thighs and make them look larger.
- Coats should end above the knee if you don’t have long legs. Look for ones with discreet pockets in the seams of the jacket and is fitted at the waist.
Find out your body shape and download your free Body Shape Bible – take the quiz now.