The Feminine personality dressing style category is the most maligned. So many women will say to me as they dismiss the feminine “I don’t like frills or flounces” as if these are the only ways to express their innate femaleness. Each of the garments in the picture above is feminine in some way, yet few have a frill or flounce!
The Feminine personality dressing style is about curved lines and softness (rather than the straight, hard lines of the Masculine). This relates to how we read line and design elements, which harks back to the ancient theory of Yin and Yang.
There are so many ways to express your feminine side:
- The feminine silhouette of the hourglass shape
- Soft fabrics that skim and drape
- Delicate prints
- Nature-based prints – florals, butterflies, paisley (stylised floral), dots, circles and any sort of curvy line
- Sheen, shine and sparkle
- Lighter colours
- Fine straps on shoes and slim soles
- Bows and embellishments
- Touchable fabrics like silk, velvet, fur
- Smaller-scale details and accessories
There is no one right way to express it either. Personal style is all about personal expression.
How do you express your feminine style?
Tips on How to Use Yin and Yang to Make Your Outfit More Feminine (without having to add a frill!)