It’s very easy in the chaos and rush of the morning (particularly when you are not only getting yourself ready but also others), to run out the door without actually having finished getting dressed.
I know that I’ve:
- Gone out with the wrong shoes on
- Not finished applying makeup (kind of a half finished face as I was interrupted in the process then completely forgot that I hadn’t finished applying my makeup)
- Walked out of the house with “banana” hand-prints on my shoulders
- Forgotten to brush my hair
Yes! I’m far from perfect, though fortunately most of these things have happened only once as I’ve put into place some fail-safe’s to ensure that they don’t happen again!
Think about what you can do to make your morning grooming process easier.
If you have young kids (in that messy hands phase) then I found that after getting dressed, I put my dressing gown over the top of my clothes so those little hand-prints ended up on my dressing gown not my clean clothes.
Have a mirror near your exit so you can do a quick once over and make sure you’ve got the right shoes on, that you don’ t have random threads or a hem that’s coming down and that you finished applying your makeup.
Clean your shoes after wearing so they’re ready to go next time you need them.
Throw any pantyhose with ladders in the bin (don’t let them sneak back into your drawers)
Keep an emergency grooming kit in your desk drawer (or car):
- Wet wipes (brilliant for removing stains)
- Lint brush
- Shoe polish
- Spare pantyhose/tights
- Double sided tape (in case a hem comes undone or you need)
- Dental floss or dental pick
- Nail file/emery board
Maybe you can make your own outfit checklist (like this one which one of my readers created for herself) to ensure you get out the door looking great!