Rounded stomachs can be difficult to hide, they’re right out there at the front, but what tricks can you use to make your tummy look less obvious?
Here are 10 Easy Ways to Flatter a Rounded Tummy
- Pants/Skirts/Waistbands should sit about at the belly button. Too high and it will force your stomach to pop out below, too low and you get muffin top.
- If you really do have the pregnant tum look, even if you’re not – rather than go up into larger size skirts and pants, head to the maternity department and try on the pants and skirts as you’ll find there isn’t so much extra fabric through the thighs, just extra for your tummy.
- Wear a darker top (create a column of colour too!) and then a lighter jacket or cardigan over the top – the dark top will recede and your tummy won’t be as obvious.
- Look for fabrics without too much elastane or lycra – we don’t want cling, we want skim.
- Strategically placed ruching and draping on garments can really work well to disguise your tummy.
- Curved hems that dip down at the front, rather than straight ones, can elongate your legs, whilst hiding your stomach.
- Ending tops at the point just below (and I mean just below) the widest point of your tummy can also work – try it in the mirror by folding your tops to different spots til you find your sweet spot. Tops that cup your tummy will make it appear larger.
- Jackets are a great way of bypassing your personal statistics. Their little bit of extra structure will hide what is going on underneath. It’s the power of the 3rd piece at work! Go for a darker top under a lighter jacket
- Busy patterns that are dense and non-repeating will distract the eye. Look for small to medium size patterns in a low to medium contrast for best effect.
- Don’t forget, make your mid-section kind of boring and plain, low in detail such as pockets, belts, seams, not layering different coloured tops etc. Draw attention up to your face with scarves and jewellery – remember – it’s all about the art of illusion and distraction!
Want more tips on your flattering your body shape?
Then read up on your Body Shape Bible . If you’d like my personal opinion on your shape – you can get this as part of my 7 Steps to Style program (along with a personal colour analysis and the most comprehensive style and wardrobing program) that helps you discover everything about your style so you stop making shopping mistakes and start looking and feeling fabulous every day.