Continuing on the makeup theme, I thought I’d share my current favourite book on makeup techinques. It’s Makeup Makeovers: expert secrets for stunning transformations by Robert Jones.
What I like about it:
- The pictures – it’s very simple and the pictures clearly state where to put shadow or highlight.
- Advice for each face shape – so where to put your blush if you have a round face, which is different from where to put your blush if you have a rectangle face.
- Section on eye shapes and eye shadow – whether you have protruding eyes, deep set eyes, hooded eyes or droopy eyes (and more eye types) there are simple, clear instructions on how to apply eye shadow.
- Good advice on colour
- Explanations of different products and their uses
- Clear before and after photos
What I didn’t like
- He uses 3 shades of foundation and powder to highlight and contour – who has the time to do this every day?
- Not enough on eyebrow shapes for face shapes
That said – not much to complain about. If you want a great guide to applying makeup I would recommend this book highly. I use this book when teaching my image consultant training course, and have had students who have never even put makeup on themselves, within a day, doing simple day makup on models just following his step-by-step advice.
Robert Jones also has a book aimed at the more mature market called Looking Younger: Makeovers that make you look as young as you feel that is aimed at the 40+ market and I’ve had a look through it at the bookstore and think it’s also a great option for the more experienced in life woman.
Do you have a favourite makeup guide?
I'm not sure if it's for you but how would you feel if you learned all about the colours and styles of clothing that suit your individual personality, shape and style? Just imagine what it would be like when you can open your wardrobe and pull together fabulous outfits that make you look and feel amazing every day? If you'd like to stop wasting money on the wrong clothes and accessories plus join an amazing bunch of very special women also on their style journey - then my 7 Steps to Style program is right for you. Find out more here.