I just discovered your website, and I love the photos of your wardrobe capsules.
I’ll be moving from an equatorial, tropical climate (think hot and humid) to the cold dark north of Finland. I will essentially have to buy a new wardrobe from scratch, which seems scary (I hate shopping) and exciting (I get to try starting with capsules in mind) all at the same time.
I’m wondering how to build a capsule wardrobe that looks good and layers well. I get cold easily. How many pairs of long underwear and warm undershirts do I need?
- The trick with creating capsule wardrobes is all in the colour, and putting them back with appropriate neutrals that work with your colours.
- The trick with layering is to choose fine layers rather than chunky ones.
- Each bottom should have 4-5 tops that work with them.
- Don’t include too many patterns.
- Get a great really warm coat to put over your outfits when you go out.
- Accessorize with hats and scarves.
As far as long thermal underwear goes, it really depends how often you do your washing. Anything that will pick up smell from sweat needs to be washed more frequently, so I’d suggest a minimum of 4 pairs to start with, then you’ll be able to figure it out when you’re living there.