On to the next shape – today we have an H body shape (rectangle body shape).
What you will notice is that there is not much definition between the shoulders, waist and hips, sure there is a little curve here and there, but not a really defined waist curve.
Here is another H – you will notice that there is not much waist definition.
Hs commonly have short waists and flat bottoms (but not always).
How to dress your H shape:
- So what to wear – clothes that don’t focus attention on your waist. Notice how all the pictures above have emphasis either above or below the natural waist, not on it.
- One of the most important things to remember when you are an H shape is that you need to find a great supportive bra – keeping ‘the girls’ up high will give you a more defined waist.
- Tops that end just below the hip bone are often the best length. Alternatively try a longer tunic top over a pair of skinny jeans or leggings. If you need to belt the tunic top, belt it low on your hips, not at your waist.
- Empire tops are often flattering, just avoid the ones with gathers under the bust as they may make you look pregnant.
- Garments like trench coats can be very hard to wear for an H – the only ones I’ve found to work are single breasted, already fitted and shaped, and then I tie the belt at the back.
- Look for clothes with fitting and seaming – such as princess seams which help to create a long, lean line.
- You will often find that a wide variety of pant styles suit the H shape. From wide legs to straight legs, bootlegs to flares, give them a try and see what you prefer.
- Keep detail above the buts and below the thighs for the most flattering appearance.
- Skirts too can be in a variety of shapes, from straight to a-line, trumpet to bubble. The worst skirts for you are those that gather or pleat around the waist. Dropped waist styles work well though.
- Small busted Hs will have a much easier time belting garments than larger busted Hs.
More tips for H shapes have a look here.
Celebrities with H shape bodies include Anne Hathaway and Kim Catrall.