Shoes are a really important part of your outfit – even though you want to dress your portrait first, we notice the whole of you as you enter or leave a room and if the shoes don’t work, they can create an unwanted focal point, or create disharmony.
So how do you choose shoes? What should you consider?
I’ve made this short video to help you choose shoes to go with skirts or dresses, pants/trousers have different rules (which I will share with you soon).
The key points?
- Get yourself a full length mirror if you don’t have one!
- Try on different shoes and see which works best.
- You can always wear a shoe that is the same colour as your hair – it creates harmony and balance.
- You can always wear a ‘nude’ shoe that is similar to your skin tone.
- Think about balance – thicker fabrics need more substantial shoes, very fine or flimsy fabrics need lighter, strappier, more delicate shoes.
- Then there is the scale of your legs and ankles – fuller legs need thicker soles and straps, finer calves and ankles need finer straps and soles.
Do you have any methods to help you choose the shoes that go with your outfit?
Dress by Verily