How to Choose an Empire Waist to Suit Your Body Shape
An Empire Waist garment has a high cut waist seam that sits directly under the breasts (above your natural waistline). It’s flattering on so many body shapes because it doesn’t require a defined natural waist to work.
- For petites it works because it raises the waistline up, so raises the eye higher on the body so you look taller.
- For Hs, Vs and Os it works because it defines your smallest torso part, directly under your bust (which we don’t expect to be as small as we expect the waist ratio to be), thus taking attention away from your natural waist, up toward your face.
- For 8s, and Hs, try a straight skirt version as an alternative to the flared.
- For As and Xs if it’s a dress and an A-line shape, this will flow nicely over your curves. Look for a wider waistband to define your shapely curves and tiny waist.
- For I shapes, you can wear a gathered or pleated empire to create extra curve.
- For everyone else, unless you want people asking you ‘when is the new arrival coming?’ you may want to avoid gathering.
- For pregnant women it’s a sure fire winner and comfortable, because there aren’t any seams around your stomach.