Maxi skirts and dresses are everywhere again this summer here in Australia.
They can be a glamorous addition to your wardrobe, work for day and night (though not the office). There are a few tips to consider when wearing maxi’s depending on your height and body shape which I’ll share with you here. So what are my tips on how to wear a maxi skirt for your body shape?
How to Wear a Maxi if You’re Petite
Most often I hear that petites find them tricky to wear and they can be if you choose a style with too much volume and wear them too long.
- End them around the ankle, rather than dragging on the ground.
- Make sure they are made from a fluid fabric that doesn’t swamp you, avoid too many gathers and lots of fabric.
- Keep patterns in scale with your body, avoid large scale patterns.
Shop for petite maxi skirts
How to Wear a Maxi if You are an H shape (or lack a defined waist)
- Avoid gathers and anything belted or pleated around the waist
- With maxi-dresses, an empire style is the most flattering
- Straighter shapes follow the lines of your body and flatter.
How to Wear a Maxi if You have an X or A shape (or have a defined waist)
- You want a waisted style that you can cinch in to show off your defined waist.
- A flared shape follows your curves
- Look for fabrics that drape softly and move as you walk
How to Wear a Maxi if You are Tall
- It’s hard to find things long enough for you most of the time, but a maxi for you should come at least to your ankles, if not a little longer.
- Play with horizontal details if you want to look shorter
- Work with your body shape recommendations as mentioned above if you are either more curvy or more straight
Shop for Maxi Skirts