Today I’m introducing the stylish thoughts of Sarah Brummitt, a London UK based image consultant who I met at the AICI Conference in Orlando in May who is inspiring and absolutely heaps of fun.
What is the secret to great style?
For me it’s always 3 things:
- Knowing what you want your clothes to express about you. Women dress to make a statement, to provide a shield or to create a seduction…..and I definitely dress to make a statement.
- Being adventurous and willing to try new things. At the very least we should overhaul our look every time we enter a new decade!
- Knowing what suits you…….most women when they look in the mirror and think ‘yuk!” will blame their body. Instead you should blame the clothes.
What is the one thing you would spend a lot of money on?
Shoes. During our lifetime we will walk more than 15,000 miles and you can’t do that in cheap footwear.
What is the one thing you wouldn’t spend a lot of money on?
Bargains during sale time. Most often they’re not really the ‘bargain’ they appear; they don’t fit or work properly and you probably already have 7 of the same type of thing at home anyway.
What are your top tips for looking stylish when travelling?
- Get your hair, nails and toes done before you go. Good grooming carries people a long way.
- Work on the concept of a capsule – a great dress, pair of trousers and/or skirt, jacket, some tops, costume jewellery and shoes will do the trick. Women think they want lots of clothes – actually what they want are lots of outfits and the two are not the same.
- Always consider fabric. You want clothes that travel and don’t crease.
What is your current obsession?
Purple. I adore the colour and love getting accessories in it.
I also love the flares and drama of the ‘70s vibe which is back in fashion. Jumpsuits, wide leg trousers and kaftans are right up my street.
Who inspires you?
Vivienne Westwood, Michelle Obama, Gwen Stefani, Nadia Ivanova (an amazing woman who makes a lot of my clothes for me).
What’s not worth the money?
Very high end, high fashion shoes. Come on – who’s really going to wear 6.5” heels or platforms?
What’s your secret to making yourself stand out?
Having something that’s your visual ‘signature’. All women should have one – it could be great lipstick, always wearing fabulous earrings or shoes, a gorgeous smile.. pretty much anything.
I have always wanted to have a white streak at the front of my hair and have never looked back since I did it.
The one piece of advice most women need but don’t get?
That your size doesn’t matter but your shape does when it comes to dressing well.
What’s the best piece of style wisdom you’ve ever received?
Accentuate the best bits (for me it’s my waist) and draw your eye away from the dodgy bits (my bottom, hips and thighs).
What is your favourite current trend?
The 70’s…. again and again and again!
How would you describe your personal style?
Bold, Dramatic, Stylish, Stand Out